At the turn of the century, Stuart enjoyed the sailing and social benefits of the St. Lucie River Yacht Club. In 1926 the club was destroyed by a hurricane. It wasn’t until 1988 that five like-minded yachtsmen gathered at a local restaurant to conduct a founders meeting and restore a yacht club to Stuart. Later that year, 44 members formally established the Stuart Corinthian Yacht Club, incorporating it as a full service not-for-profit club. Two remaining members from the original St. Lucie Yacht Club were invited to join SCYC and by a “declaration of succession” procedure, the two Clubs legally became one.
The Club purchased the Apalachicola Oyster Works property, previously occupied by hundreds of pigeons, to create a home for the fledgling SCYC. This property had 400 feet of bulk-headed waterfront with 25 previously permitted slips, 8,000 square feet of concrete and metal buildings, a parking lot, and a pink house across the street which served as the Clubhouse until renovations were completed. Ground breaking ceremonies were conducted on October 31, 1992 with more than 200 guests in attendance and State Senator William (Doc) Meyers giving the keynote address.
Today the Stuart Corinthian Yacht Club is member owned and operated and managed by a Board of Directors. The board consists of six Bridge Officers (member-elected) and five Directors. This assures that all members have a voice in the operation of the Club.